jeudi, septembre 17, 2026

0maha-Steak's Steak SampIer - Just 5OO Left For Today 0nly

So I got your note about the rosemary bushes and honestly I think you're overthinking the whole thing. They don't need that much attention this time of year. The ones along the fence line are doing fine even with the weird weather we've been having. What I usually do is just check the soil with my finger every few days and only water when it feels dry about an inch down. The bigger issue might be drainage since that corner of the yard tends to collect water after heavy rain. Maybe add some coarse sand or small gravel around the base and see if that helps. Also forgot to mention last time we talked that the community garden meeting got moved to Thursday evening instead of Wednesday. Bring your notes on the compost schedule if you still want to present that idea about rotating bins. Should be a quick session, maybe an hour at most. Linda said she would bring extra tomato stakes for whoever needs them. Let me know if you want me to save you a spot near the back. Oh and before I forget the library is doing a cookbook swap on Saturday morning in the side room. You can drop off up to three books and take home the same number. I might bring that old bread baking one I never use anymore. Anyway just wanted to reply before the week gets away from me. Talk soon and good luck with the garden stuff. The basil you gave me last month is still going strong on the kitchen windowsill which is honestly surprising given how little sunlight that spot gets. Maybe there is hope for the rosemary after all.

Also remembered you asked about the hiking trail off Mill Road. It is open again after they fixed the footbridge near the second creek crossing. The loop is about four miles and mostly shaded which is nice in the afternoon. Parking is still limited to maybe eight cars so go early if you plan to check it out. The trailhead sign is easy to miss because the brush has grown over part of it. Someone tied orange tape to the post last week. Hikers say the wild blackberries are starting to ripen along the upper section but watch for poison ivy mixed in with them. Bring gloves if you plan to pick anything. I will probably go out there Sunday after church if the rain holds off. You are welcome to join but no pressure if you have other plans.
Omaha Steaks A Note On Your Next Box

A Gourmet Sampler, Reserved for You

This note is to confirm that a sampler box from Omaha Steaks has been set aside for your household. The program covers the full cost - you will not be billed for the sampler. Five hundred of these boxes are being distributed nationally, and one is reserved per household. The distribution window closes tomorrow.

Each cut is hand-selected by our butchers and flash-frozen shortly after preparation, which helps preserve the texture and taste you would expect from a quality steakhouse. While the sampler would normally be priced above six hundred dollars, it is being provided to you at no charge through this program.

Access Your Sampler

Inside Your Box

4 Fine-Cut Ribeyes
 
6 Top Sirloins, trimmed
4 New York Strips
 
4 Filet Mignons, center-cut

Availability for each distribution is aligned with program allocation and updated daily. Please note that one sampler is allowed per household address.

Thank you for taking a moment to review this note. We look forward to preparing your sampler with care.

Hey so I finally got around to testing that new bread recipe you sent over and I think the hydration is slightly off for this climate. The dough came out sticker than expected even after the second fold. I ended up adding maybe an extra quarter cup of flour which helped but the crumb was still a bit dense on the bottom. Next time I might try reducing the water by two or three tablespoons and letting it proof in the fridge overnight instead of on the counter. The flavor was still good though especially with a little butter and flaky salt right out of the oven. My neighbor tried a slice and said it reminded him of something his grandmother used to bake which I took as a compliment. Let me know if you have any preferences on which flour brand you normally use because I think that makes a difference too. Maybe we could do a bake off one weekend and compare notes. Also I picked up that cast iron skillet from the flea market and the seasoning is coming along nicely. It took three rounds of oil and heat but now eggs slide around like it is nonstick. If you want to borrow it for your cornbread experiments you are welcome to it. Just remind me to bring it when we meet at the park. The weather looks decent for Saturday so maybe we can do an early walk before it gets too warm. I am thinking around eight thirty by the old oak tree. Wear the shoes with good tread because the trail was still a little muddy after Tuesday. Did I tell you that the farmers market has a new mushroom vendor? They had lion's mane and shiitake last time and the prices were reasonable. Could be a nice addition to the pasta dish you were planning.

One more thing about the canning jars you asked me to check on. I found the half pint ones in the garage but two of the lids have small rust spots near the rim. Probably fine for dry storage but I would not use them for water bath canning. The quart jars are all clean and the bands look okay. I will wash everything and set them out in the sun to dry before we use them. If you need more I think the hardware store on Fifth Street still carries them in the back near the kitchen section. They might even have the wide mouth kind which are easier for chunky preserves. Anyway I hope your week is going well and the cat is feeling better after the vet appointment. Talk soon and let me know what time works for you.

Aucun commentaire: